Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Happy Holidays!!!!

So many projects, so much time!!!

Read the article here!
We are excited to have a lovely article about the Art District that features stories about our origins in the revitalization of downtown Winston Salem, NC!!! You can read it here!

We are thrilled to have been a part of the creative economy and have such a long-standing business. Part of that business is about being friends and working well together. As artists, we tend to have very independent approaches to what we want, how we want it and with what means we intend to achieve this goal. Some have used less creative terms to describe an all-woman run business that creates textiles, jewelry and promotes local artists.

Many of us who have been in this part of the Art District, aka. the "arthood"and have stories about all of our neighbors. (most are good stories, some are UNBELIEVABLE!!) 

I am working up to this.... slowly. One of my favorite quotes for this one is from our fiber friend Tomi Melson saying how we are, and here I paraphrase, all so very lucky to have had Dee in our lives. Dee Connor, our outspoken (as women should be), supportive (you know who you are) honest (don't ask if you don't want to know) and generous (did that guy ever pay back all of the $5 she gave
him?) has passed on. She left our studio a few years ago. We still have some of her weaving. It is kind of hard for me (Kathi) to believe she won't call me and say... what are you doing? I have something to tell you..... and we were off.  She did that pretty regularly. It meant a lot to me and to my family, as did Dee.

Her family wrote such a lovely piece in the Journal and they used one of my favorite photos of our Dee. She is smiling... like Dee can smile. You can read it here. and her son Michael wrote to me that he prefers to celebrate her life rather than mourn her in death. That is probably a very good choice as she has had a very full life with so many stories, you wouldn't believe!!!

I wanted everyone to know that she has passed on, and we miss her and she will always be a huge part of Fiber Company.

And as Dee was fond of reminding me-- FISH DO
you probably know this already, tho!

No comments:

Post a Comment